Serves: 15 to 18
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups strawberry preserves*
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 13X9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of the pan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pan occasionally until butter turns a medium brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, rub together granulated sugar and zest until fragrant.
- In a bowl, beat browned butter, sugar mixture, vanilla, and salt at medium speed until combined. With a mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, beating until combined. Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spread preserves onto warm crust. Dot preserves with cranberries and sprinkle with streusel.
- Bake until streusel is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes more. Let cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan and cut into bars. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
- To make streusel:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.