Kale Salad with Roasted Acorn Squash
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
For the dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup*
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 acorn squash, halved, seeds removed, and sliced into ½ inch thick slices*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups chopped kale*
- 1 cup shredded carrots*
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage*
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese*
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard. While whisking, drizzle in the oil and continue whisking until the dressing is fully emulsified.
- To make the salad: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with wire rack placed in the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the slices of squash in the oil. Place the slices of squash on the baking sheet. Season the squash with paprika. Place in the oven to roast for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a bowl, toss the kale with half of the dressing. Massage the kale with the dressing until wilted, the color is darker and looks shiny. Let it sit for around 5 minutes. Add the carrots, cabbage, currants, and sunflower seeds. Arrange the salad on a platter or in a salad bowl and top with the squash. Drizzle the remaining dressing and top with cheese and a few more seeds for garnish.
Delicata squash makes a great addition or substitute for the acorn squash.