A Lovely Lentil Curry
Recipe by Marley Bonacquist-Currin
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- Olive oil* for sauteeing
- ½ onion*-sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic* – minced
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (12oz)
- Bunch of Spinach or Kale or Swiss Chard (Any seasonal leafy green)*
- 1 large or 1 cup cherry tomatoes*
- 4 large carrots*
- 1 cup of mushrooms* (Oysters and shiitakes are my favorites)
- ¼ cup curry powder
- 3 Tbsp. Turmeric
- 1 ½ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp Cayenne or Paprika (Depending on preferred spice level)
- ⅛ tsp. Black pepper
- 2 Tsp. Granulated garlic
- 2 Tsp. Granulated onion
- 1 ½ cups uncooked lentils
- Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add coconut milk, leafy greens, tomatoes, carrots (sliced thin), and mushrooms and spices.
- Cook for 1 hour over medium-low heat (until veggies are soft).
- In a sauce pan, cover the lentils with water. Bring to a boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes more.
- Add to curried vegetables.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice (I prefer basmati or jasmine).