Market Beet Salad
Adapted from recipe by Mark Bittman featured in the New York Times
Time: 10 minutes
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
• 1 pound beets*
• 1 large shallot*
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoons honey mustard, or to taste*
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil*
• 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or other good strong vinegar
• Minced parsley, dill, chervil, rosemary or tarragon*
1. Peel the beets and the shallot. Combine them in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, and pulse carefully until the beets are shredded; do not puree. (Or grate the beets by hand and mince the shallots; combine.) Scrape into a bowl.
2. Toss with the salt, pepper, mustard, oil and vinegar. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Toss in the herbs, and serve.