Mayan Spice Chocolate Chili
Shared by Saratoga Chocolate Co.
Prep time: 20
Cook time: 1 hr
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- 1.5 lb ground Longlesson beef*
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 large onions*, diced
- 2 jalapenos seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic*, minced
- 1.5 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1-15 oz can of diced tomatoes (locally grown & canned if possible!)
- 1 small can tomatoes paste
- 2 cups beef broth, more water if needed
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- ¼ cup Saratoga Chocolate Co. Mayan Spice Hot Chocolate mix*
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a well oiled dutch oven brown beef on medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes, dusting with salt and pepper for flavor.
- Set aside beef in a bowl. In the same Dutch oven, add a touch of oil and saute onions, pepper, and jalapeno until softened.
- Add back the beef, and sprinkle the mixture with spices. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and broth and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle in the hot chocolate mixture and stir well. Cover a let simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice, topped with cilantro, sour cream, and/or an over-easy egg. Enjoy!