Root Vegetables with Herb Biscuits
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- 2 cups fennel*, ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups parsnips*, ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups celery root* (celeriac) ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots*, ½ inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shallot*, minced
- 2 cloves garlic*, minced
- 1½ cup celery, diced
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter*
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese*
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary*
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme*
- 4 Tablespoon cold unsalted butter*, diced
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- Steam fennel, parsnips, celery root, carrots until just tender.
- Heat olive oil in skillet until shimmering. Saute the shallots, garlic until fragrant and translucent. Add celery and cook until tender. In a large bowl, toss with the steamed vegetables.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven. Whisk in a cup of flour. Cook to thicken (roux). Slowly whisk in vegetable stock. Add cheese, sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, cayenne pepper. Whisk to melt the cheese completely. Simmer while whisking until very thick. Remove from heat.
- Stir vegetables into the sauce. Stir occasionally.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary, thyme, and cheese. Cut in butter with pastry cutter until pieces are smaller than peas. Using a folk, stir in buttermilk to just combine.
- Drop the biscuit batter on top of the vegetable sauce to cover. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown, bubbling, and topping is cooked through.