Zucchini and Summer Squash Nests
Adapted from recipe by Hilary Meyer in Eating Well, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese*
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese*
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced*
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 medium yellow summer squash*
- 2 medium zucchini*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil*
- Position a rack in the top position of oven, preheat broiler to high
- Combine ricotta, Parmesan, basil, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer or vegetable peeler, cut summer squash and zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands or strips. Stop when you read the seeds. You should have about 6 cups of “noodles”. Place them on a sheet pan or in a 9 inch X 13 inch baking pan. Shape them into nest. Alternate the zucchini and summer squash in a pattern. You will have 6 nests.
- Drizzle the nests with oil and sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Make a well in the center of each and spoon in about 2 Tablespoons ricotta filling.
- Broil nests until browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve warm.