Recipe by Cookie and Kate
Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- 2 cups packed almond meal or almond flour (10 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional mix-ins: ½ cup chopped walnuts, raisins, chocolate chips
- ½ cup honey* or maple syrup*
- 3 eggs*
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup grated apple* (about 1 ½ apples)
- 1 cup peeled and grated carrots* (about 3 carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and optional mix-ins, if using.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, eggs and butter. Whisk in the grated apple and carrots. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each to the brim. Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow muffins to cool completely before storing.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. If you like them warm, reheat them on low power in the microwave.
MAKE THEM NUT FREE: (The muffins will no longer be gluten free with this variation) 2 cups whole wheat flour can be used as an alternative to the almond meal. Increase the butter to 8 tablespoons (1 stick) and reduce the oats to 1 cup.