Adapted from the recipe by Chocolatechocolateandmore.com,
shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● ½ cup butter, room temperature
● ⅔ cup sugar
● 2 eggs*
● 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
● 1½ cup all-purpose flour
● 1½ teaspoons baking powder
● ¼ teaspoons salt
● 1 teaspoon apple pie seasoning*
● ½ cup Greek yogurt*
● 4-5 medium apples*
● 3 Tablespoons sugar
● ½ teaspoon apple pie seasoning*
● 1 cup powdered sugar
● 1½ Tablespoons milk*
● ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For Cake: Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
3. Alternating, add flour mixture and sour cream, starting and ending with flour. Mixing just until each addition is incorporated into the batter.
4. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 baking pan. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
5. Peel, core, and slice apples into thin slices. Place apples in a single layer across the top of the batter.
6. For Topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of apple layer.
7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
9. For Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over top of the cake. Serve cake still warm or can be served cooled.