Recipe by King Arthur, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Serves: 9-inch pie
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● A 9-inch pie crust
● ¾ pound bacon*
● 1 large yellow onion*, peeled
● 2 Tablespoons butter
● salt and pepper
● ¾ cup heavy cream
● ¼ cup milk*
● 6 large eggs*
● 1½ cups grated sharp cheese*
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Roll the prepared crust into a 12-inch circle to fit into a 9-inch pie pan. Prick it all over with a fork. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. To make the filling, cook the bacon in a frying pan until crisp. Let it cool on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, roughly chop it up.
4. Dice the onion into medium-sized pieces, about ½ inch. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion has softened and is just starting to turn brown. Remove it from the heat and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, and eggs. Add the bacon, onions, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Don’t overfill.
6. Bake the quiche for about 40 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and the center should feel just set.
7. Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool on a rack.