Did you know that 29 cuts of beef meet government guidelines as lean beef? These include tenderloin, sirloin, and 95 percent lean ground beef.
SLOW-COOKED BEEF SHANKS
Recipe provided by Longlesson Farm
* Ingredients found at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
– 1 package of beef shanks (approximately 1-2 lbs) *
– 6-8 cups water
– whole black peppercorns, sliced onions, garlic cloves — if desired. * (onions and garlic are at the market)
1. Place shanks in a crockpot, dutch oven or large cooking pot.
2. Add desired seasonings.
3. Add enough water to cover shanks completely.
4. If cooking on stove, bring liquid to a boil, then turn heat down as low as your stove will allow, cover and simmer for 6 hours.
5. If cooking in crockpot, cover and cook for at least 6 hours.
You may add such items as potatoes* or carrots* in the last hour of the cooking. The shanks are ready when the meat can be cut easily with a knife and is sliding off the bone.
Save the excess liquid from the shanks for a soup.