Recipe by The View from Great Island, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
● 2 pounds carrots*, peeled, trimmed, and cut into one-inch slices
● 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk*
● 5 large eggs*
● 1 teaspoon salt
● 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter*, softened
● 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
● 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese*
● ¼ cup all-purpose flour
● 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 2-quart souffle dish.
- Steam carrots until tender. Place in a colander to drain liquid.
- In a bowl, blend buttermilk, eggs, and salt.
- In a food processor, blend carrots, butter, and sugar, until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and carrot mixtures together. Stir in cheese, flour and baking powder. Pour into the prepared dish, spreading out evenly.
- Bake for an hour or longer, until puffed up and beginning to brown. It shouldn’t jiggle in the center or look wet inside the cracks.
- Serve hot with snipped chives.