Recipe by Cook’s Illustrated, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Serves: 4 to 6
● 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter*, cut into ½ inch pieces
● 1 shallot*, minced
● 1 cup chicken broth
● 1 cup apple cider*
● 6 sprigs fresh thyme*
● 2 bay leaves
● salt and pepper
● 1 pound carrots*, peeled and sliced about ¼ inch thick
● 1 pound sweet potatoes*, peeled halved lengthwise and sliced ¼ inch thick
● ¼ cup coarsely chopped candied ginger
● 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
● 3 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro*
1. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broth, cider, thyme, bay leaves, 1½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and sweet potatoes, stir to combine and return to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 14 minutes.
2. Remove pot from heat. Discard thyme springs and bay leaves and stir in candied ginger. Push vegetable mixture to sides of the pot. Add mustard and remaining 2 Tablespoons butter to center and whisk into cooking liquid. Stir to coat vegetable mixture with sauce, transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.