Shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Serves: 1 10-inch skillet or 6 to 8 servings
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 2 Tablespoons oil (or butter*)
● ½ onion*, chopped
● 1 garlic clove, minced
● 1 teaspoon dried thyme
● 2 carrots*, diced
● 1 cup potatoes*, peeled, cooked, and diced
● 1 cup of mixed vegetables*, frozen, canned or fresh
● 1 10 ½ ounces can of cream of celery (or chicken, mushroom etc)
● ½ can of milk (or ½ cup)
● 1 chicken breast*, skinless, cooked, and diced.
● Salt and pepper
For the pie crust (One ten-inch pie crust):
● 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
● ½ teaspoon salt
● ½ cup vegetable shortening
● 3 to 4 Tablespoons cold water
1. For the filling: In an oven safe skillet, heat oil. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and thyme. Add carrots and cook until carrots start to soften. Add potatoes and mixed vegetables. Pour in 1 can of cream of celery and ½ cup of milk (1/2 can of milk). Add more milk if needed, up to a full can of milk. Add the cooked chicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. For the pie crust: Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the shortening thoroughly. Sprinkle in water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl. Add 1 to 2 more teaspoons of water if needed.
3. Gather dough into ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured board. With floured rolling pin, roll dough 2 inches larger than skillet. Fold into quarters and unfold on top of skillet with filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or longer.