Recipe courtesy of Lewis Waite Farm
*Ingredients available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
• 1 cup unbleached flour; try also ½ c. whole wheat + ½ c. unbleached
• 1 cup high quality (organic varieties are non-GMO) coarse cornmeal or corn flour
• ¼ cup maple syrup or coconut sugar (you can also reduce amount to 2-3 T.)*
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp (or less) salt
• 1 cup grated or shredded sharp aged cheddar, smoked cheddar, or jalapeno cheese*
• 1 cup buttermilk (can substitute a short cup of milk, mix in 1-2 T cider vinegar)*
• 2 large eggs*
• 4 T melted bacon grease (not hot)*
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease or butter a 8 x 8 inch metal baking pan or an 8-9 inch cast iron skillet.
3. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, and salt in large bowl. Stir in cheese.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs lightly, add buttermilk and melted bacon grease.
5. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stir gently until just mixed –less is definitely more here.
6. Transfer batter to prepared pan or skillet.
7. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, approximately 25-30 minutes.