Recipe courtesy of Marcie Place, owner of The Chocolate Spoon
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese* – the sharper the better
● 1 tsp salt
● 2 1/2 cups flour
● 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
● 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary*
1. Sift together salt and flour; set aside. Cream together cheese and butter until well blended.
2. Gradually add dry ingredients with care not to overmix. This is shortbread so you don’t want to activate the gluten too much. Divide dough in half and shape into rounds. Wrap well in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour or freeze for later.
3. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1/4″ thick sheets and cut with a small cookie cutter.
4. Bake until slightly golden, about 15-20 minutes. Bake 9-11 minutes for smaller cookies. Remove from baking sheets and cool. Store in an airtight container or freeze for later.