Recipe by Donna Bryson
Cornbread compliments roasted chicken and duck, braised greens, balsamic-glazed beets, and many other savory dishes. Or simply slather a slice with local honey or jam and enjoy as a treat.
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
● About 2 tablespoons fat (butter, oil, bacon drippings…)
● 1 cup flour
● 1 cup cornmeal*
● 1 teaspoon salt
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● ½ teaspoon baking soda
● 2 eggs*, beaten
● 1 cup buttermilk* (if you choose to use regular milk*, omit baking soda and add another teaspoon of baking powder).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. While the oven is heating, place fat in cast iron skillet or other baking dish and put skillet/baking dish in the oven.
3. In a bowl, mix dry ingredients with a fork, tossing them to get some air into them.
4. Add wet ingredients quickly and blend until batter is just a bit thicker than pancake batter. Add more milk, if needed.
5. Take the pan out of the oven, swirl sizzling fat quickly to coat the pan, and pour excess into the batter.
6. Mix well, then pour the batter into the hot pan.
7. Put the pan in the oven and bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick (or fork) poked into the center comes out clean (about 30-40 minutes).