We are hiring for our Market Manager position!
Overview: The Market Manager is a part-time position with fluctuating hours of approximately 20hrs/week. The primary responsibilities are to manage the on-site operations of the Saratoga Farmers’ Markets, promote and market the three markets, and provide customer and vendor relations. This will include on-site presence at the market during market hours on Wednesdays (May-October 3pm-6pm) and Saturdays (all year 9am-1pm) and off-site work during non-market days. The market manager serves as the liaison between the SFMA Board of Directors and the vendors, and will also represent the market to the customers and to the community.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An organized team player able to assess situations quickly and deal with the public, vendors, and staff, in an informative and positive manner.
- Able to be self-directed and efficient with time management.
- Excellent with written and verbal communication skills.
- Skillful in marketing and promoting.
- Well versed in social media and website development, as well as computer savvy.
- Able to lift heavy objects and work outdoors in bad weather conditions.
- Able to clearly communicate the values of the SFMA, including our market by-laws and constitution.
- Able to multitask, take direction, as well as supervise others while remaining upbeat.
- Experienced in management, and able to delegate to a team.
- Have an up-to-date understanding of the local farming community and local food scene.
On-Site At Market:
- Arrive before market to set up the information booth, signage, community and music tents,
- Supervise and delegate tasks to the intern and volunteers. Manage the SNAP/EBT and ATM machines. Answer customer and vendor questions. Promptly settle any disputes. Enforce vendor rules and regulations.
- At the end of market, pick up market materials including tents etc.
Marketing and promotions:
- Minimum of one update per market on all social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram).
- Create and send out the weekly newsletter.
- Keep the website up to date.
- Organize special promotions and ad creations for newspapers, radio, etc.
- Event planning and coordination. Create a market calendar of events including projected budget and staffing requirements, subject to board review.
- Administer and promote nutrition assistance programs at the market.
- Coordinate and assign the weekly article and recipe in Saratoga Today (This is currently done by the Activities Coordinator).
- Hire and direct an intern to assist with workload.
- Coordinate volunteer schedule and tasks to assist with workload.
- Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to vendors. Keep them informed throughout the season via emails and hard copies when needed.
- Report to and attend board meetings (6 per year).
- Create the vendor layout/stall map for each market location (subject to board approval)
- Assign and monitor vendor work-share tasks with assistance from the Vice-President.
- Manage online ordering software and onsite logistics for distribution (currently Local Line only in the winter).
- Monitor market post office box.
Compensation: $19/hr, based on experience. Approximately 20 hours per week; 15-20hrs in the winter and 20-25hrs in the summer and during the switch of seasons.
Reporting – Market Manager reports to the SFMA Board. Overall administrative control will be by the SFMA Board President.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least 2 professional references to Mark Bascom at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email with any questions.