Recipe by Natasha’s Kitchen
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Serves 8 people
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 4 oz bacon*, chopped into 1/4″ strips
● 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb* or lamb shoulder* trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
● 1/2 Tbsp sea salt for the lamb plus 1 tsp for stew
● 1 tsp black pepper for lamb plus 1/2 tsp for stew
● 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
● 1 large yellow onion*, diced
● 4 garlic cloves*, minced
● 1 1/2 cups red wine*
● 1 lb mushrooms*, thickly sliced
● 4 cups low sodium beef broth or stock
● 1 Tbsp tomato paste
● 2 bay leaves
● 1/2 tsp dried thyme
● 1 1/2 lbs small potatoes* halved or quartered into 1″ pieces
● 4 medium carrots*, peeled and cut into 1/2″ thick pieces
● 1/4 cup parsley*, finely chopped for garnish
- In a 5Qt dutch oven, saute chopped bacon over medium heat until browned and fat released. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a large plate.
- While bacon cooks, season lamb pieces with 1/2 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and toss to coat. Cook lamb in 2 batches in hot bacon grease over medium heat until browned (3-4 min per side) then transfer to the plate with bacon.
- Add diced onion and sauté 2 min. Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups wine, scraping the bottom to deglaze. Add sliced mushrooms, bring to simmer then cook uncovered 10 min. Preheat Oven to 325˚F.
- Return bacon and lamb to pot and add 4 cups broth, 1 Tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp dried thyme and 2 bay leaves. Stir in potatoes and carrots, making sure potatoes are mostly submerged in liquid. Bring to a boil then COVER and carefully transfer to preheated oven at 325˚F for 1 hr and 45 min. When done, potatoes and lamb will be very tender.