Recipe adapted from ‘Easy Potato Latkes’ recipe by Martha Stewart
Makes about 2 dozen
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
• 1 yellow onion, grated or minced*
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten*
• ¼ cup matzo meal
• 3 large potatoes, peeled and grated *
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated*
• Oil for frying (peanut or vegetable oil)
• Select your topping(s): Sour cream, applesauce, kimchi, yogurt, jam*
1. In a large bowl, combine onion, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Add eggs, and stir until incorporated. Add matzo meal, and stir until incorporated. Add potatoes, and toss until combined and evenly coated.
2. Fill a large skillet with about 1/2 inch oil. Place over medium heat until oil is almost smoking. (To test, drop a small bit of batter into the skillet; it should sizzle upon contact.)
3. Working in batches so as not to crowd skillet, carefully spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into oil for each latke. Lightly tamp down to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a paper-towel-lined wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with desired toppings.