Recipe by The View From Great Island, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 1 teaspoon lemon juice
● ½ cup half and half*
● 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
● 1 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 teaspoons for sprinkling
● 1 large egg*, at room temperature
● 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
● 2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb*
● 2 cups all-purpose flour, reserving 1 Tablespoon to toss with rhubarb
● 2 teaspoon baking powder
● 1 teaspoon salt
1. Set oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9X9 baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, allowing the ends to hang over the sides, so the cake can be easily lifted out of the pan.
2. Stir the lemon juice into half and half and set the mixture aside.
3. Cream the softened butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy and pale yellow. Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
4. Toss 1 tablespoon of flour with the rhubarb.
5. Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and blend in. Add all of the half and half and blend in. Finally, add the rest of the flour and blend just until combined. Don’t over mix. Fold in the rhubarb. The batter will be thick.
7. Spread or pat the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top evenly with a little sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake is turning golden and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
8. Let the cake cool slightly before cutting.