Recipe adapted from www.budgetbytes.com
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Makes 4-6 servings
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
• 16 oz. package ground sausage or links (more or less may be used)*
• 1 bunch kale*
• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms*
• 1 cup diced tomatoes*
• 1 cup soft, mild cheese of your choice – shredded*
1 If using sausage links, squeeze the sausage from the casings into a large skillet (freeze the remaining links for later use). Otherwise, cook the sausage over medium heat until fully brown. Break the sausage up into pieces as it cooks. It’s okay if it sticks to the bottom of the skillet a little as it cooks.
2. Remove stems and chop mushrooms thinly and add to the sausage. Cook until softened.
3. While the sausage and mushrooms are cooking, remove the woody stems from the kale, then slice it crosswise into thin strips. Rinse the kale well, then add it to the skillet. Stir it into the sausage and mushrooms and continue to cook until it is fully wilted (this happens within a few minutes).
4. Pour the diced tomatoes over the skillet, then top with the shredded cheese. Place a lid on the skillet and let it simmer until the cheese is melted (about 5-10 minutes).