Recipe by Simply Fresh Dinners, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 14 ounces pasta* (use tagliatelle, fettuccini, or your favorite pasta)
● 2 cups fiddleheads* (in cold water, rinse and remove the brown papery husk on the fiddleheads, do this several times)
● 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil*
● 1 garlic clove, minced
● ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
● 1 cup asparagus*, rinse, cut off woody ends, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
● Juice from one lemon, zest from half the lemon
● ½ cup cherry tomatoes*, halved
● 2 scallions*, sliced
● ¼ cup fresh basil*, chopped
● Garnish with pea shoots*
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box until al dente. Save 4 Tablespoons of cooking water. Drain and rinse.
2. Cook cleaned fiddleheads in boiling water (a rolling boil) for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender. Drain and place in ice-cold water. This will shock the fiddleheads and stop the cooking process, leaving them bright green.
3. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper. Cook for one minute. Add asparagus, juice, zest and pasta water. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add fiddleheads and cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add cooked pasta. Toss well until coated. Top with tomatoes, scallions, basil, and pea shoots.