Adapted from recipe by Jen Nikolaus of www.yummyhealthyeasy.com
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
Total time: 28 mins
Makes 12 muffins
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pie spice mix from The Chocolate Spoon* (or 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. nutmeg)
- 3 eggs*
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots*
- 1 cup apple, peeled and grated*
- ½ cup chopped nuts, optional
- ¼ cup coconut, optional
- coarse sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Fold in remaining ingredients: carrots, apple, nuts, and coconut.
- Scoop into 12 regular-sized greased muffin tins and sprinkle a little coarse sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.