Recipe courtesy of Alexander’s Bakery
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
Savor the last of this summer’s delicious blueberries with this blueberry crumble that is free from peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, egg, soy, wheat, and is gluten-free and vegan.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 ½ cups Local blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
Ingredients for the crumble:
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend (ex. King Arthur Cup for Cup)
- ¾ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter substitute (ex. Earth’s Balance buttery sticks) cut into ½ inch slices
- Pinch of salt
Instructions for the filling:
In a small heavy saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until blueberries begin to break down, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and add gluten-free vanilla. Set aside to cool.
Instructions for the crumble:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free flour, gluten-free oats, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cold butter substitute and use your fingers to rub it into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs about the size of small peas. Place ½ the mixture in the bottom of the 9×9 pan and press down lightly. Spoon filling on top then sprinkle remaining crumble on top.
- Bake 50 – 55 minutes until the top is lightly browned and filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool at least 30 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite safe vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!