By Christina Musgrave of Tasting Table
Prep time: 15 min
Coot time: 20 min
Makes 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs*, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk*
- 4 large green tomatoes*, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Combine 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, and 1 cup of breadcrumbs in a bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Pour 1 cup of flour into a shallow bowl or on a plate and set aside.
- Combine 3 eggs and ½ cup of buttermilk in a bowl. Dip the tomatoes in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all tomatoes are coated in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add tomatoes in batches and cook for 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all of the tomatoes are fried. Serve with a creamy sauce, and enjoy.