Recipe from Sneha Narayanan, www.cookwithsneha.com
Cabbage Poriyal/Thoran is a side dish packed with coconut flavor that goes well with rice and any south Indian curry. Poriyal/Thoran can be made with any vegetable that compliments coconut.
*Ingredients available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
- 3 cups of cabbage*, finely chopped
- 5 shallots*, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 3/4 cup of grated coconut, adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of black mustard seeds
- Asafoetida, a pinch
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except salt, coconut oil, mustard seeds, and asafoetida.
- In a wide pan, heat coconut oil on medium flame, add mustard seeds, and as they crackle, add asafoetida, and the cabbage mixture. Stir well. Add salt and mix.
- Close the pan with a tight lid and let the cabbage cook in the steam, stirring occasionally. The cabbage lets out enough water to cook in its moisture, if the cabbage takes longer time to cook, sprinkle little water (a tbsp or two), cover and cook.
- Check for salt and remove from heat. Serve with Parippu Curry, Theeyal, sambhar, or Rasam.