Recipe by Marisa Kerkvliet
Yields: 4 servings
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetables
● 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and legs*
● 2 bunches rainbow carrots*
● 1.5 pounds red or gold potatoes*, cut in half
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 2 teaspoons kosher salt
● 1 teaspoon paprika
● ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Carrot Top Pesto
● 2 cups packed carrot tops*
● ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil*
● ½ cup walnut halves, plus extra for serving
● ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
● 2 cloves garlic*
● ½ lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
● ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
● ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the chicken, carrots, and potatoes on the sheet pan and drizzle on the olive oil. Sprinkle on the salt, paprika, and black pepper. Use clean hands to toss all of the ingredients together and rub the spices into the chicken and vegetables. Arrange in a single layer with the chicken skin facing up.
2. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees F and the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
3. While the chicken and vegetables are roasting prepare the carrot top pesto by combining the carrot tops, olive oil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is thoroughly combined and smooth.
4. Transfer the cooked chicken and vegetables to a serving platter, and drizzle on the pesto. Top with additional chopped walnuts if desired and serve immediately.