Recipe courtesy of Leaning Birch Farm
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
For the salmon:
● 1 lb salmon fillet*
● 5 oz bag “Zesty Mix” salad greens* (Leaning Birch Farm)
● large handful pea shoots* (Leaning Birch Farm)
● A small handful of micro cilantro* (Leaning Birch Farm)
● 2 tbsp neutral flavor high smoke point cooking oil
● Fine sea salt
For the dressing:
● 2 oz soy sauce
● 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
● juice from 2 lemons
● 2 tsp local honey*
● 1 tsp hoisin sauce (optional)
● 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated or finely minced
● 3 cloves garlic, crushed, grated or minced
1. Add all ingredients for the dressing to a tall, slender jar or measuring cup. If available, use an immersion blender until well emulsified. Otherwise, mix vigorously with a fork. Set aside.
2. Pat salmon fillet dry with paper towels. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. We prefer a well-seasoned cast iron or carbon steel pan, otherwise use a nonstick pan. Add the 2 tbsp of neutral cooking oil to the heated pan. Generously salt both sides of the salmon. Once oil is shimmering and rippling, add salmon fillet to the pan, skin side down, and do not disturb. Cook 8-10 minutes on the skin side, or until bottom 1/3 of its thickness begins to lighten and turn opaque and brown, crisp edges appear.
3. While fish is cooking, add the Zesty Mix and pea shoots to a large mixing bowl. Add roughly 2/3 of the salad dressing and toss well to evenly coat.
4. When salmon has finished cooking on the skin side, give the pan a subtle but affirmative shake to see if the fish frees from the pan. If so, slide a very thin fish spatula under and flip the fish to its other side. If not, first gently lift the corners and edges from the pan with the spatula, and then flip. Cook 5 minutes longer on medium-high. Remove from heat and allow to rest in pan for 5 minutes.
5. Serve salad into large dinner bowls. Once salmon has cooled somewhat but while still warm, transfer to a cutting board and cut into two equal portions, skin side up. We found a very sharp bread knife to work very well for this. Top each salad bowl with salmon, and pour evenly over both servings the remaining third of dressing. Garnish salmon with a generous pinch of micro cilantro. Serve immediately.