Recipe by Smitten Kitchen and Bon Appetit, Shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 6 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
● 4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
● 2 English cucumbers*, very thinly sliced
● a few branches plus 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill*
● 3¼ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes*, about 10 medium, peeled
● Additional coarse kosher salt
● 1 cup very thinly sliced white onion*
● 8 radishes*, trimmed, thinly sliced
● ¾ cup mayonnaise
1. The day before, make the pickles: Pour vinegar and 4 teaspoons salt into a bowl with a cover. Add the cucumbers and dill branches. Stir gently to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Stir occasionally.
2. Cook the potatoes by boiling them the night before. Refrigerate to ensure they are very cold.
3. The next day, drain the cucumber mixture in a colander for an hour. Discard the brine and dill.
4. To assemble the salad, Cut the potatoes crosswise into ½ inch thick slices. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Add the drained cucumbers, onion, sliced radishes, and remaining 3 Tablespoons dill. Toss to blend.
5. Add the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Serve cold.
Options: Cook the potatoes with the skins on and remove them after cooking, or leave the skins on.