Adapted from a recipe from Maple Leaf Farms
* Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
One whole fresh duck*
1 T. kosher salt
1-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 head garlic* or 1 onion*
celery* stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove duck from bag and pat dry.
- Place duck in roasting pan, and rub salt, pepper and paprika over outside and inside, if using. Place garlic or onion and celery into cavity, if using.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and lower heat to 350 degrees.
- Cover duck with foil and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes a pound, turning meat halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from oven and let duck rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
*You can prepare a fresh turkey following this recipe, as well. Simply add 3 minutes per pound of cooking time in step 5.