Adapted from the recipe in Chef Ramzi’s ‘The Culinary Heritage of Lebanon’ and shared by www.tasteofbeirut.com
This salad is a balance of flavors and textures. Radish greens provide body and earthiness and a bit of bite, apples offer sweetness, scallions some slight tanginess, and the garbanzo beans and cucumber are mellowing. Also, Radish greens offer six times more Vitamin C than the actual radish! They are rich in calcium and potassium, full of antioxidants, and act as a powerful digestive aid.
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- Greens from 2 bunches of radishes*
- 1 teaspoon of mashed or crushed garlic* with a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil*
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of apples*, chopped
- 3 purple or white scallions*, finely chopped
- 1 cup of cucumbers*, chopped
- 1 can of cooked garbanzo beans
- Wash and dry the radish greens. Chop them coarsely.
- Make the dressing by mixing the garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Add to the radish greens the apples, cucumber, scallions and garbanzo beans. Mix and pour the dressing.