Adapted from the recipe by Ree Drummond
Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pork shoulder roast*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups apple cider*
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 whole apples*, cored and cut into wedges
- A bundle of fresh rosemary or thyme
- 3 medium onions*, sliced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Saute onions until brown and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over high heat. Salt and pepper pork roast, then sear on all sides to give it some color. Reduce heat to low. Add apple cider, apple slices, onions, rosemary or thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 3 hours. Alternatively, you may place in a 300-degree oven if you prefer.
- When the roast is done, remove the roast, apples, and onions to a platter. Raise heat to medium-high and boil liquid, reducing it until thick and rich.
- Spoon thick sauce over the roast, then cut the roast into slices. Serve with apples and onions.