Adapted from recipes shared by Christine Gaud of Saratoga Apple and ‘bakes apples’ on Foodnetwork.com
Makes 4 servings
Prep and cook time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 4 large baking apples*, such as Honeycrisp
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and core apples, leaving enough of the core at the base of the apple to contain the filling.
- Combine the butter, cinnamon, and chopped nuts in a small bowl. Roll log shapes of the mixture and press enough into each apple to fill the core.
- Fill a 2-quart baking dish with about 3/4 cup water, or enough to cover the bottom. Place the apples upright in the dish. Bake until the apples are soft and the filling is browned, 1 hour.