Recipe shared by Irin Wellness
Makes 10 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 50 min
*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- 1 cup plain yogurt*
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic*, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in*
- 2 ½ cups Basmati rice
- 7 Tbs Ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, or oil of your choice
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the marinade and mix, ensuring each piece is coated thoroughly. If time permits, cover the bowl and put in the fridge to marinate for at least a half hour. For optimal results, allow the chicken to marinate overnight.
- Soak and cook the rice: Place in rice in a large bowl, fill with water, and swish with your hand for 10 seconds. Drain water and repeat 3 times. Drain well in a colander. Place rice and 3 ½ cups of water in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Once simmering, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in the dutch oven or skillet on medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and use a spatula to scrape any excess marinade into the pot. Mix well. Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the oil separates. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Add the rice to the cooked chicken and continue to cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with fresh lemon and cilantro.