Looking for a crisp and festive complement to your holiday table? Try this quick and healthy starter, compliments of chef and yoga instructor Meg Affonso.
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- 1 bunch kale*
- 1 pound firm apples*
- ½ cup pumpkin or squash seeds*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup*
- Salt, to taste
Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon Dijon (or other) mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot*, minced
- Lightly toast pumpkin seeds in a pan with olive oil and salt. Remove.
- Remove kale leaves from stems and tear into bite-size pieces. Steam in water until wilted. Drain and set aside.
- Chop apples into bite-size chunks.
- Combine kale and apples, and toss with maple syrup.
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and drizzle over kale and apples.
- Top with pumpkin seeds. Toss lightly and serve.