Recipe adapted from Saveur
Makes 1 sandwich
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
- 1 really ripe tomato* (big, red-blue beefsteaks and heirloom varieties are best—all flesh and juice, with not too many seeds)
- 2 slices of bread* – toasted
- Salt and fresh black pepper
- Add cucumber*, thinly sliced – if desired
- Thickly slice tomato. Butter toast, slather a thick layer of mayonnaise on both pieces, then lay on two or three tomato slices and season with a generous sprinkle of salt, the tiniest pinch of sugar, and a few good grinds of black pepper.
- Roll up your sleeves and bite through the crisp buttered bread and into the sweet taste of summer.