Adapted from the recipe by Ina Garten
Prep time: 1 hr 50 min
Cook: 45 min and based on weight
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
● Kosher salt
● 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves*, minced
● Grated zest of one lemon
● 1 fresh turkey* (12-14 pounds)
● 1 large yellow onion*, unpeeled and cut into eighths
● 1 lemon, quartered
● 10 sprigs thyme*
● ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
● Freshly ground black pepper
1. Two or three days before you plan to roast the turkey, combine salt, rosemary, and lemon zest.
2. Wash turkey inside and out. Drain well and pat dry.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the salt mixture into the turkey’s cavity and rub the rest on the skin, including under the wings and legs.
4. Place turkey in a shallow dish to catch drips and wrap the whole dish tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
5. The day before you plan to roast the turkey, remove plastic wrap and leave the turkey in the fridge uncovered so the skin can dry out.
6. On the day of roasting, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
7. Place onions, lemon, and thyme in the cavity. Using kitchen string, tie together legs and tie wings close to the body. Brush the turkey with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8. Roast turkey for 45 minutes after placing in the oven, legs first.
9. Brush turkey with fat. After doing so, return the turkey to pan.
10. Then, lower temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast for another hour or so, until it is 160 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh area.
11. Remove from oven, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.
12. Carve and serve with pan juices.