Recipe by Samin Nosrat, NYT, and shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 medium onions*, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves*, sliced
- 6 to 8 cups diced vegetables*(carrots, celeriac, chard, mushrooms, cabbage, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, winter squash)
- 1½ pounds raw boneless chicken
- 6 to 8 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat and add 4 tablespoons oil. When the oil shimmers, add onions and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in the pot. Add enough chicken stock to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until the flavors have come together and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes more. Remove raw chicken from soup when cooked, allow it to cool enough to handle. Shred and return it to the soup.
- Add more hot liquid if needed.
- Serve hot.
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market