Recipe by Bon Appétit Test Kitchen featured on Epicurious and shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Serves 8 servings, one 9-inch quiche
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 1 pie crust for a 9-inch pie
● 2 Tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter*
● ⅔ cup chopped shallots* (about 3 medium)
● 5 cups sliced assorted mushrooms* (for example: oyster, cremini, button)
● 4 large eggs*
● ⅔ cup half and half
● ⅓ whole milk*
● ½ teaspoon salt
● ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
● ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
● 1½ cups grated Fontina cheese (about 7 ounces), divided
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pie crust in a 9-inch glass pie dish and bake until light brown about 17 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet, over medium-high heat. Add shallots. Sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and sauté until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate and spread out to cool slightly.
3. Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina cheese and sautéed mushrooms. Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese over quiche.
4. Bake at 325 degrees until puffed, golden brown and just set in the center, about 45 minutes or longer. Cool for 30 minutes.