Recipe by Marisa Kerkvliet
Yields: 4 servings
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
For the salad:
- 3 medium-size beets or 1 large beet*
- 1 apple, thinly sliced*
- 1 bag baby lettuce*
- 1 handful pea shoots or microgreens*
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese*
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
For the vinaigrette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced red or yellow onion*
- 2 teaspoons honey*
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Trim the stem end off of each beet, wrap in a piece of aluminum foil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast beets for 1-2 hours or until they are tender when pierced with a paring knife.
- Allow the beets to cool and gently rub off the skin. The beets can be used at this point or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- When ready to serve, slice the beets into ¼ inch slices and arrange them on a serving platter. Layer on the sliced apple, baby lettuce, pea shoots, feta cheese, and walnuts and set aside.
- To make the dressing combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, minced onion, honey, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in the jar or a small blender and blend on high for 15-30 seconds or until completely smooth. If you do not have a blender small enough for this quantity, simply whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the plated salad and serve immediately.