Recipe from Lizbeth Gomez, Gomez Veggie Ville
*Ingredients currently available at the farmer’s market
2 cups graham crackers, ground (option: ginger snaps)
¼ cup sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 small butternut squash*
1 small sweet potato*
1 can sweetened condensed milk (optional alternative: combination of cream* and honey*)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
pinches of nutmeg, ground ginger, and all spice
1/2 cup heavy cream*
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon orange zest
1. Combine crust ingredients in large bowl to make a smooth dough, pinching crumbs with fingers.
2. Press dough into a pie plate and refrigerate.
3. While crust is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Peel and cut butternut squash into chunks, and peel and dice sweet potato.
5. Steam squash and sweet potato chunks until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
6. After vegetables have cooled, place in blender or food processor with eggs, milk and spices. Blend until smooth.
7. Pour mixture into crust, and place pie plate in a slightly larger pan with ½ inch of water at bottom. (This water bath helps to prevent cracks.)
8. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. For topping, beat together heavy cream, vanilla, confectioners’ sugar and orange zest until peaks form.
10. Cut pie into pieces, place on individual plates, and add topping with spoon.