Adapted from the recipe by King Arthur Flour
Prep time: 30 mins
Bake time: 45 mins
*Ingredients currently available at the Saturday farmers’ market
Your favorite single pie crust recipe or a store-bought premade crust.
3/4 pound bacon*
1 large yellow onion*, peeled
2 tablespoons butter*
salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream*
1/4 cup milk* (whole, low-fat, or skim, your choice)
6 large eggs*
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Roll the prepared crust into a 12″ circle (to fit a 9″ pie pan). Prick it all over with a fork. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
3. To make the filling: Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crisp. Let it cool on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, roughly chop it up.
4. Dice the onion into medium-sized pieces (about 1/2″). Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion has softened and is just starting to brown. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, and eggs. Add the bacon, onions, cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Don’t overfill! If you find you have too much filling, just leave a little out, baking it alongside the pie in a custard cup, if desired.
6. Bake the quiche for about 40 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and the center should feel just set.
7. Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool on a rack. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.