adapted from Bake from Scratch Magazine
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
3/4 cup jam* (any flavor)
2 cups all purpose flour
1¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup whole milk*
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs*
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray, sprinkle on flour, and line with parchment paper.
3. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
4. In another bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
6. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Spoon a ring of the remaining batter around the inside edge of the pan. Spoon the jam into center of the ring. Spoon the rest of the batter on top of jam and smooth with an offset spatula.
7. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour, covering with foil in the last 30 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary.
8. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run an offset spatula around edge of pan to loosen cake before turning out. Turn cake back over so dome is on top.
9. For topping: Brush top and sides of cake with melted butter. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle top with sugar mixture and press onto sides of cake.