Adapted from the recipe featured in Eating Well, shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 1½ pounds small to medium beets*, preferably Chioggia*
● ½ cup water
● 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt*
● 1 Tablespoon honey*
● 1 teaspoon lemon juice
● ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
● 1 Tablespoon olive oil
● ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
● 4 cups fresh spinach* or Lacinato Kale (cut kale into ¼” ribbons)
● 4 ripe peaches*, cut into ½ inch wedges
● 2 Tablespoons small fresh mint leaves* or torn basil*
● ¼ cup chopped almonds or hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash beets and place in a small roasting pan. Pierce all over with a small paring knife. Add water to the pan and cover with foil. Roast until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 50 minutes.
3. Combine yogurt, honey, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
4. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into ½ inch wedges. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
5. To assemble the salad, make a bed of spinach greens. Drizzle with half of dressing and top with beets and peaches. Tuck in mint or basil in between the beets and peaches. Drizzle remaining dressing on top and sprinkle with chopped almonds or hazelnuts.
Notes: The original recipe calls for adding 3 Tablespoons of hazelnuts to the dressing. Process in a food processor or blender until smooth.