Adapted from the recipe featured in Cook’s Illustrated and shared by My Saratoga Kitchen Table
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
For the Salad’s Base:
● A handful of mesclun leaves*
● A handful of arugula*
● A handful of mustard greens*
● Add herbs such as parsley*, basil*, dill*, or other favorites*
For the Croutons:
● 5 cups of ¾ inch bread cubes from ciabatta or crusty rustic loaf*
● ¼ cup water
● ¼ teaspoon table salt
● ¼ cup olive oil
For the Vinaigrette:
● 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
● 1½ teaspoons very finely minced shallot*
● ½ teaspoon mayonnaise
● ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
● ⅛ teaspoon table salt
● 3 Tablespoon olive oil
1. For the salad: Toss greens together in a large bowl.
2. For the croutons: Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with water and salt. Toss, squeezing gently so the bread absorbs water. Heat olive oil and soaked bread cubes in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. For the vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, shallot, mayonnaise, mustard, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until mixture looks milky and no lumps of mayonnaise remain. Whisking constantly, very slowly drizzle oil into vinegar mixture. If pools of oil are gathering on the surface as you whisk, stop the addition of oil and whisk the mixture well to combine, then resume whisking in oil in a slow stream. The mixture should be glossy and slightly thickened with no pools of oil on the surface.
● Season croutons with favorite dried herbs and spices.
● Top with microgreens, veggies, fruit, crumbly cheese, seeds, or nuts.