Adapted from recipe by Lucy Parissi of Supergolden Bakes
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Servings: 12 slices
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market.
- 2 ½ lbs fresh spinach*
- 14 oz feta cheese crumbled*
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten*
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill*
- ½ cup or a small bunch of fresh chopped parsley*
- 8 scallions, finely chopped*
- 2 large leeks, white part only finely chopped*
- 1 pack frozen phyllo pastry thawed overnight in the fridge
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place a tray on the middle shelf.
- Warm olive oil in a pan over medium heat and gradually add the spinach in batches until it is all cooked.
- Allow to cool. Then drain excess water from the spinach using a cheesecloth or strainer.
- Sauté the green onions and leeks in a pan with a splash of olive oil until soft. Add the spinach and herbs and cook for a bit longer. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the crumbled feta and eggs to the spinach. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Brush your pie dish with the melted butter then start layering the phyllo pastry, brushing each leaf with butter, in the dish letting the ends hang over the edge. Layer 5-6 phyllo squares over the bottom of the dish then add the filling in an even layer. Fold the edges over the top and brush with butter.
- Brush 4 phyllo squares with the melted butter then scrunch together and cover the entire surface of the pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes, covering with foil after 15-20 minutes to avoid the pie coloring too quickly. Cool before slicing (otherwise you won’t be able to slice neatly).