Recipe courtesy of Squashville Farm
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 1 onion*, peeled and diced
● 1 tablespoon olive oil*
● 1 lb ground venison or beef*
● 3 cloves garlic*, minced
● 2 tsp chili powder
● 1 tsp cumin
● ½ tsp dried oregano
● 1 ear corn*
● 1 carnival squash*, seeded and cut into one-inch pieces
● 1 green pepper*, seeded and diced
● 3-4 fresh tomatoes*, cut into chunks
● 3 cups vegetable broth
● 8 oz dried red beans
● salt and pepper to taste
● Optional garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro*, toast pumpkin seeds, cheddar cheese*, plain yogurt*
- Wash and soak dry beans for 30 minutes. Rinse and place in 1 cup of water until ready to use.
- Remove kernels from corn cob.
- Heat oil in a pot, and add onions and a pinch of salt. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add squash, corn, and green pepper. Stir in broth, beans with water, and tomatoes. Simmer until squash is soft and ingredients have combined to create a thick, chunky soup.
Note: This chili tastes better if it is refrigerated overnight and reheated the next day.