*Ingredients available at the farmers’ market
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups, 1-inch diagonally sliced rhubarb* (3 large stalks)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice (from one small orange)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from one small lemon)
- 20 ounces fresh strawberries*, quartered lengthwise (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup small mint leaves*
- Stir together water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Add rhubarb to the pan, cook for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Cover and let stand until rhubarb is tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove rhubarb with a slotted spoon, reserve rhubarb syrup.
- Stir together orange juice, lemon juice, and 2 Tablespoons rhubarb syrup in a large bowl. Add rhubarb, strawberries, almonds, and mint. Stir gently to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
NOTES: There’ll be remaining rhubarb syrup that can be used for another purpose (ice cream, cake, salad dressing, etc.)