Adapted from the recipe by Miss Annie on www.geniuskitchen.com
Cook and prep time: 20 minutes
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
- 4 cups sweet potatoes*, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 2 tart apples*, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pecan pieces, toasted (optional)
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot*, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- To cook the sweet potatoes: In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Once the pan is sizzling, add a scant ¼ cup water, then cover the pan and reduce heat to low to avoid burning the contents. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sweet potato is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Mix the sweet potatoes, apples, raisins, pecans, and shallots in a large bowl.
- Combine the juices, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk together, then add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Pour over the salad, toss well to combine well, then refrigerate overnight before serving.